Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Those Are Not My Legs but they Represent

Okay. So I'm back at the gym.
Good for me right?
Yes, good for me.
There's just one problem. I have to pop anti-nausea drugs every time I go.
Why, you ask?
Well, sometimes, when you work out really hard, you feel like throwing up.
That's not it.
Yes, I have that problem too, but, my ongoing issue is my freakishly clingy motion sickness. MOTION SICKNESS...AT THE GYM!!! Argh!
First off, I always warm up on an elliptical machine, which warms up my legs, glutes, core and arms. Excellent...
If it weren't for the TVs mounted EVERYWHERE incessantly displaying a hockey game. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against hockey but seriously? Where's Ellen when you need her?!? A nice, camera-still kinda show. (Plus, who doesn't love Ellen?)
So, if my head and guts survive the rolling motion of the elliptical mixed with a little back and forth swaying hockey camera, then I move on to my actual workout.
 I pick an area of my not-quite-yet svelte body and push it hard.
For example...legs. This means 4 or 5 exercises that target every muscle found in my two functioning stilts. (Although, my legs are much sexier than a pair of two-by-fours if you ask me ;)
By the time I'm done these strengthening exercises I am shaking, sweating (not glistening - sweating as in it looks like I just took a bath in a bucket of olive oil - light, extra virgin of course ;) and yes, again feel like tossing my cookies. (Wait, I don't eat cookies. I have diabetes. Let's go instead with...carrots. Yes, I feel like tossing my carrots.)
If that's not enough, I proceed to the incline ab bench and up down up down I go until I get the burn and am almost positive my muscles are going to rip apart under my skin.
By this time, my inner head is spinning in the opposite direction as my eyes and those carrots, yes those carrots fight to make a comeback for the whole gym to see.
Sounds like fun, yes?
My favourite time of day is halfway between gym visits. Long enough to realign the world's orbit in my brain and forget about what I went through just hours before, and long enough ahead of the next workout to not quite yet feel the fear and trepidation that grows each minute before I have to yet again squeeze into my yoga pants.
I will honestly say though, that I am thrilled to be back at the gym. (I can say that now because I am halfway between workouts ;) As much as my body revolts two days after a tough workout, I feel so alive.
If I can add the adjective of svelte to alive, I'll be laughing.
Feel free to join me at the gym. It's a good time. You won't regret it.
For serious ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What the heck...say whatever is on your mind! (Regarding my thoughts that is ;)