Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Beth and the Beatles - The Perfect Union

Diabetes has wreaked havoc on my person as of late. From gastro paresis at its possible worst, to nerve pain disallowing sleep, to recurrent frozen shoulders, life has been challenging to say the least. I will not lie...I'm tired. Don is tired too, and I can't bear to watch this two way mirror. No matter who looks at who, what we see is fatigue. With that said, Don is an unwavering rock, faithfully holding me up through thick and thin.
He's not the only one keeping me going.
This past weekend, a group of our UK friends drove up to Liverpool to celebrate several birthdays. After a day of wandering the streets and getting a guided tour by Beth, a long-time-ago Liverpool local, we went for a lovely dinner and then found ourselves at the Cavern.

As I'm sure you know, Liverpool is the home of the Beatles, and the Cavern is where it all began. Typically I am not one to go clubbing, but this was one worth experiencing. As we wound down multiple flights of stone steps, I fought against my claustrophobia and tried to take it all in. Knowing this was the first club the Beatles ever played gave me the stronger push downward than the tightness in my chest pushing back to try to catapult me up and out.
A tribute band played the Beatles all night, taking requests. (As classic as the Beatles are, it's gotta get pretty old for them after months and months of this, no?)
After dancing to a Hard Day's Night, and I Wanna Hold Your Hand, plus many others, my legs needed a break. As I sat, I Saw Her Standing There started to pump through the speakers. At this point, something magical happened. My friend Beth caught the rhythm.
As she started dancing the Jitterbug, the first emotion to come over me was awe. I mean, she was really, really good. I haven't witnessed that much energy since watching Footloose a gazillion years ago.
Next came pure joy. The kind of joy that forced tears to stream down my face while my mouth was so turned upwards in a smile it hurt. I couldn't stop - crying or smiling. He adorable black dress swished and swirled as she twisted and turned and jumped and twirled. Next thing I knew, her husband Jason  joined her. This pushed me off the cliff of supreme happiness. To see the two of them in that moment privately together, for the whole world to see...it was just too much.
As I mentioned, life has been hard. But as I watched Beth I was thrust into 3:13 minutes of undiluted jubilation. It was freedom encountered through the infectious essence of free-spirited friends. Chained by medical tests, appointments, exhaustion and pain, it's a freedom that's been lacking within me as of late. That dance was a gift so pure, particularly since it was incognizant and unintentional, yet so open for the taking.
So with an indebted heart and tears in my eyes, I say thank you. Thanks to the Cavern for giving the Beatles a shot, to the Beatles for transforming the music scene on so many levels, and most importantly to Beth and Jason for dancing so spontaneously and uninhibited. Memories of that three minute break from life's hardships will carry me far.
Thanks again my dear friend Beth.
I Saw You Dancing There. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What the heck...say whatever is on your mind! (Regarding my thoughts that is ;)