Thursday, October 2, 2014

Fashion War: London vs. Liverpool

It's time we talked about fashion, yes?


I've now been to all four of the fashion capitals of the world: London, Paris, Milan and Liverpool. Wait. No. Liverpool is not New York. Darn. I thought I had "arrived."  Oh well. I guess New York will continue floating around in my dreams for now. Wait for me please, Manhattan. I'm coming.

I mention Liverpool because it plays a significant role in the UK fashion scene. Having visited London only a couple of short weeks after Liverpool, I couldn't help but notice some stark differences.

One city bragged impossibly high heels, tight skirts, red lips and hot-rolled hair. The other touted both a classy and mod vibe, even when casual. They've got it going on.
Can you guess which was which?
Sorry Liverpool. No disrespect, but London wins this one.

I'm not gonna lie. It took me a full day to pack for one night to London. I felt it necessary to try on half my wardrobe to get it just right. And I am a girl who likes options. Like, three per day. Unfortunately, Don was carrying all of our belongings in a back pack so I had to be smart about this. Once my clothes were chosen, there was no going back.

I am pleased to report that I was not embarrassed by my choices. I did, however, regret my footwear. Opting for fashion over comfort, I paid the price dearly with raw blisters and bruised toe bones by the middle of the first day.

What I learned about fashion from London was this: You can be comfortable and stylish at the same time. And I base this observation just on Londoners. Picking out the locals was easy due to hairstyle and clothing choices alone. Southern Brits are well put together.

As I hobbled around looking okay but in foot hell, envy turned my blood green as I watched women in high top runners (aka baseball boots) walk by comfortably and confidently having paired them with blouses tucked into fitted, just below the knee skirts. Add a high bun, French nails with subtle makeup and it was a heavenly recipe for casual fashion success.

The men knew their stuff too. With clean-shaven faces, short groomed hair and tailored trousers topped with shirts buttoned to the top, Armani himself would be proud.

Sure, denim made appearances on both men and women, but even then it spoke of chic rather than shabby. You know. When you see a pair of jeans and think: expensive. They were probably purchased at Harrods.

Yes, I also saw women in Manolo Blahniks, but they boasted exquisite elegance rather than tacky tart. Think Vogue vs. Sun girl.

Moral of the story? Don't try too hard, or at least don't look like you are trying too hard.
I'm not saying don't put effort into your look. A friend's daughter has been said to just open the dryer door and put on whatever sticks to her. Picture plaid skirts, floral shirts, striped scarves, and wool mismatched cartoon character socks all hanging on by static cling. While that may work for her, I don't recommend this approach for the average person. Being fashionable takes some thought. I'm just suggesting that what you wear advertises your personality and goals and if overdone, can achieve the opposite of your intentions. Success, seduction or slop - What are you aiming for?

Liverpool, I loved you. I really did. And I love the diversity of style in this country.
But if you ask me...
I'd look to London for inspiration and rock those high tops and shapely skirts with graceful style. Especially when shopping and touring the Tower of London.
Your feet will thank you.
Trust me on this. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

What the heck...say whatever is on your mind! (Regarding my thoughts that is ;)