Thursday, October 27, 2011

Up and Down, Down or Up

Oh, the ups and downs of life. And oh, how the ups and downs cause ups and downs in blood sugar. "They" say that without the downs of life we don't feel the ups, but right now I could use a little smooth sailing. (Well, perhaps not sailing as I get terribly motion sick even if it is smooth.) How about stability. That's what I would love right now.
It never ceases to amaze my busy little mind how much stress influences every part of us. I already mentioned the blood sugars, but it affects even more than those.
First off, my whole body revolts with exhaustion and aches and pains when under stress. And I know my demeanor changes as a result. The monotone sound of my voice is a clue to my well-being as it also lowers in pitch involuntarily. I hate that.
I also notice that the effort I put into my fashion decisions and hair style each day diminishes in troubled times. I still care about how I appear, but it just takes more oomph to spend the time on such things. I will admit, comfy shoes, hoodies and a pony tail are tempting when under the pressure cooker of life. Especially when only going to my local grocery store to buy rice to put in its own pressure cooker. Poor rice. I know how you feel.
But I wonder if I have inwardly judged other women a little too harshly when noticing their sweats and running shoes while in the mall. Maybe they are just going through a rough patch and fashion is the least of their worries. And that's okay. Better to take care of your inner self than always worry about how you look on the outside.
Some days though, figuring out what look I am going for is the challenge and fun that gets me out of bed in the morning. So just as we shouldn't judge those who dress down under stress, please don't judge those who dress up under stress as well.
We all have to cope with different life challenges and we all cope differently with those life challenges.
Sweats or skirts, it really doesn't matter. But I sure wish my blood sugar would put on a more suitable outfit.
One that perhaps makes the statement, "stability".

No comments:

Post a Comment

What the heck...say whatever is on your mind! (Regarding my thoughts that is ;)