Thursday, June 30, 2011

Lesson Learned

A recent fashion trend looks very attractive to me. I find myself drawn to the creams and whites, whether they are flowy dresses, tunic tops or crocheted skirts. They seemed crisp and clean, all the while giving a dreamy kind of feel.
So, what do I do?
I go to  a second-hand store and find the perfect white shorts. So cute! Love them! They look good (if I do say so myself) and feel great. Here's the thing...white makes me nervous. And apparently...rightly so.
I was sitting in the driver's seat of someone else's car, when I got the bright idea to open a can of diet coke. Can you see where this is going? Yes, {sigh} I was wearing my "new" perfect pair of white shorts. From this latest experience, I highly recommend not hovering the can of diet coke over your perfect pair of white shorts while opening it. On behalf of my misfortune, please let this be a lesson learned. (As if I had to tell you this story for you to figure this lesson out.)
Why is it, I seem to have to learn the same life lessons over and over again? Like the lesson that keeping my blood sugar as stable as possible will slow down complications. In the heat of the moment, the thought "I want that piece of brownie. It will taste so good," too many times punches the thought "I might actually be a blind person one day and saying 'no' might help put that off" in the face and wins the fight. I don't want to keep learning that lesson the hard way. I really don't. But when times are good, it's easy to forget.
The lesson that love is better than hate, forgiveness better than revenge, giving better than greed, grace better than judgment, mercy better than spite, and joy better than bitterness, also tends to get lost in the far reaches of my heart and mind sometimes. I don't like that. I want to learn that lesson once and for all. But sadly, I am flawed. Perfection is an ellusive goal. So I will just have to keep re-learning those lessons every chance I get.
Thankfully, my white shorts are not ruined, and so far I am not blind.
Now, if I can just teach my heart...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What the heck...say whatever is on your mind! (Regarding my thoughts that is ;)