Friday, April 15, 2011

Walk This Way, Shock This Way

So my shoe obsession sometimes gets me into trouble. Sure, my back account screams and tries to run away each time my debit card passes through the machine, but it's not just my back account that rebels when it comes to new shoes.
I bought a "last pair" at a discount price on one of my shopping excursions in the dead of winter. Their ultra-cuteness suckered me in and when I slipped them on and felt my feet sink into the leather I just knew; they belonged with me.
It was a long winter. These shoes were the stand alone kind. No socks allowed. As soon as the first sign of spring hit I lifted the lid of the shoebox, opening a present from myself. This was the day. It had finally arrived. I could wear my new shoes.
Here's the tricky thing; after a long winter of hiding in a protective layer of socks and boots, my feet are soft and wimpy. It doesn't take much to scuff them. My feet I mean, not the boots.
On this particular day of my brand new shoe extravaganza, I started feeling the consequences of my actions about 2/3rds into the day. Who knew the last 1/3rd could be so long.
You got it...blisters. And I'm talking a waterpark under my skin. It was shocking. This wouldn't be such a big deal if I was an average healthy person. But having diabetes complicates things. The word "amputation" has been thrown around in the air above my head over the years and they say it can all start with a blister. Well, that and nerve damage called diabetic neuropathy. So far I have had the blisters and have the neuropathy but no amputation. Thank God.
That day was a lesson for me though. Maybe it's wise to wear new shoes for shorter lengths of time to give my feet time to become more callous. (I see where that saying comes from now...)
Anyway, there has to be a better way, cuz' saving my feet is a huge priority but let me tell you...wearing those dang cute shoes is a very close second!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What the heck...say whatever is on your mind! (Regarding my thoughts that is ;)