Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Ultimate Makeover

I love makeover shows.
 If you think I am too obsessed with fashion or outer beauty, please, keep reading.
Some of those shows are better than others of course. In fact some (I won't mention any names) have elements quite hideous - the clothes and hair they put the people in that is, not the people themselves.
But when shows like What Not To Wear take a person from their starting point to the finish line, it usually is an amazing transformation.
The episode I tuned into today was exceptionally special. The woman being made-over had the self-esteem of a bug (which may not even be the right analogy since how the heck are we supposed to know what a bug's self-esteem is?!? Maybe they are a proud sort?) and hated her reflection in the mirror. At least in the first half of the show.
Then Stacey and Clinton and the hair and makeup team worked their magic and the woman actually began to smile when she saw herself. Her confidence level began to climb, if not to the top of the self-worth stairwell, at least up a few steps. Her demeanor changed, and her natural beauty started to shimmer like diamonds in sunlight. That, in turn, made me smile. That is what a makeover should be about.
Which brings me to another kind of makeover. I'll call it the Ultimate Makeover. When I started making healthy choices for myself such as eating low-carb, exercising, doing my blood sugar regularly and getting an insulin pump, I could feel not only the physical benefits, but also a demeanor change of my own. I used to live with the constant companion of guilt, which dug into me like the claws of a falcon, never letting me feel relief. Even when I wasn't conscious of this enemy, it was always there. Now I mostly feel free from its grasp, living my life with an over-arcing contentment.
Sure I have my days. Those days when I know I could still do things better. But at least I now have a new-found confidence that I am headed in the right direction. My wardrobe of healthy choices is paying off.
So yes, I love a good makeover. Whether it be flattering jeans with a new blazer and a fresh new haircut, or whether it be sensible eating and a higher level of fitness, they make me smile.
Who could possible have a problem with that?! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What the heck...say whatever is on your mind! (Regarding my thoughts that is ;)