Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Bad Do's and Bad News

Why is it some people get stuck? (And gosh! What if I am one of them and don't know it?!?)
I'm talking about style. Men. Women. It doesn't seem to be gender specific. Whenever I go out, my eyes always seem to catch a 40 year-old-man sporting a mullet, a women wearing neon and big hair, or a poor little child with a rat tail who doesn't even stand a chance at his age. I think it is the mindset that it looked good on me 25 years ago...it must still look good. Well, with the risk of sounding judgemental...it probably doesn't. Just sayin'. But if you feel good in it, then go for it. Don't let me stop you.
When it comes to my diabetes, I get "stuck" too. I had an interesting moment in time two days ago.
I was sitting in the big chair in the exam room waiting to get my eyes checked by Dr. Leicht (As in "light". Ironic, I know), and I started to inwardly panic a little, having received terrible news in that very ominous chair in the past. Was this going to be another one of those appointments? Then I thought...If I get bad news, this will be my wake up call to get even tighter control of my diabetes and try even harder. Seriously? I need bad news to wake me up? Wasn't sitting in that chair enough of a wake up call?!?
Why is it that we not only get stuck in life, but cannot seem to let our possible future consequences influence our decisions today. A lot of adults think that is a teenage problem, but I think it is universal. It usually takes a nasty kick in the butt to get our attention. We tend to think either it won't happen to us OR we'll deal with it when it comes.
Trust me...you don't want to deal with it when it comes. Please learn from my mistakes.
So if we can learn one thing together today, let's realize that life is too short to always be paying for bad choices. And maybe, just maybe...It's time for a haircut? ;)

1 comment:

What the heck...say whatever is on your mind! (Regarding my thoughts that is ;)