Monday, May 2, 2011

What Was I Thinking?!

Have you ever looked at an outfit in your closet and thought "What was I thinking?!" Yes, it's true. I don't always have good fashion sense. But why does it take me so long to figure that bad outfit out? And why didn't anybody tell me it was that bad? (Mind you, I probably wouldn't have wanted to hear it at the time.)
But you know what I am talking about right? That trendy little gold dress that you realize way too late, like 11 months or 50-lbs-lost later, that it was unflattering and possibly even, well, hideous. You never should have been caught leaving your house in the gawd-awful thing!
Well, it can be a little like that when living with diabetes too.
Years ago, I thought I could eat things that never should have been put in my mouth (or at least almost never, which wasn't the case) and should have chosen the gym over a nap, many more times than I did. As a result of very poor diabetes management (which could also be attributed to being a very tough case even when doing everything "right"), I now suffer the consequences of complications from the disease. I wish I had the excuse of "why didn't anyone tell me?" but that really isn't the case. I knew from an early age that these troublesome on-the-side dishes of disease were possible, but never thought they would happen to me. Hmmm...where have we heard that before?
And like wearing black when you are having a "fat" day, instead of the fuchsia-polka-dotted poofy white number, I perhaps also should have adopted the "better safe than sorry" attitude when it came to my diabetes as well. It is a life-lesson I still continue to learn.
So now, whether deciding what to do, eat or wear, I try to think "Will I someday be asking the question 'What was I thinking?'"  Or will I be confident that I made a "flattering" choice.
There will always be times for pink polka dots, but just know this -
I never want to do "hideous" again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What the heck...say whatever is on your mind! (Regarding my thoughts that is ;)