Thursday, May 26, 2011

A Good Hard Look

I am an American Idol fan. I love music and I love rooting for my favourites. I will admit though, I think I am just as interested in seeing what the contestants, judges and guest stars are wearing as I am in what they are singing and saying. I just watched the finale and they had some pretty big names performing. And some pretty interesting outfits. I think my favourite fashion ensemble was when the top girls sang with Beyonce.  But sorry Beyonce, your outfit didn’t quite cut it when you sang “One Plus One”. Your hips looked huge. (But you are still gorgeous, so I wouldn’t worry about it. ;)
Scotty triumphed over all. He wasn’t my first choice, but that is simply because I am not the biggest country fan. That kid can sing! Congrats man.
Before the show was over, he did a song with Tim McGraw. They did a duet of “Live Like You Were Dying”. Wow. I know I’ve heard that song before but I never really listened. I promptly looked up the lyrics and I wanted to include them here. I’ve highlighted the parts that pierced my heart in particular.
He said I was in my early 40's,
With a lot of life before me,
And a moment came that stopped me on a dime.
I spent most of the next days, lookin' at the x-rays,
Talkin' 'bout the options and talkin' 'bout sweet time.
Asked him when it sank in, that this might really be the real end.
How's it hit ya, when you get that kind of news.
Man what ya do.

And he says,

I went sky divin',
I went rocky mountain climbin',
I went 2.7 seconds on a bull name Fumanchu.
And I loved deeper,
And I spoke sweeter,
And I gave forgiveness I've been denying,

And he said someday I hope you get the chance,
To live like you were dyin'.

He said I was finally the husband,
That most the time I wasn't.
And I became a friend a friend would like to have.And all the sudden goin' fishing,
Wasn't such an imposition.
And I went three times that year I lost my dad.
Well I finally read the good book,
And I took a good long hard look at what I'd do
If I could do it all again.
And then.

Like tomorrow was a gift and you've got eternity
To think about what you do with it,
What could you do with it, what can
I do with with it, what would I do with it.

Sky divin',
I went rocky mountain climbin',
I went 2.7 seconds on a bull name Fumanchu.
And I loved deeper,
And I spoke sweeter,
And I watched an eagle as it was flyin'.
And he said someday I hope you get the chance,
To live like you were dyin'.
Yes. I want to live like I am dying.
I’ll probably never stop noticing interesting fashion. It’s a fun passion. (Notice the rhyme? ;) But as I go to my day-long, second-step sleep test today, I think I will use the boring awake time to meditate on the words of this song.
Thank you Tim. Thank you for that moment in time that will change many more moments, as I choose to once again...”Live Life”.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - shouldn't have read this this morning! I don't need mascara running down my face as I leave for my conference! Very nice song - i missed it last night. Thanks for posting!! Hope your test goes well and you get some answers!
    Luv ya!

    ReplyDelete

What the heck...say whatever is on your mind! (Regarding my thoughts that is ;)