Tuesday, May 31, 2011

In My Blindspot

Here's one of my realities - I could be a blind person before I die. I suppose that is true for anyone. I know of a guy who got hit in the eye with a paintball (a total accident and bad timing) and his eyesight was touch and go for awhile. I also know of a guy who in his early twenties just suddenly lost his sight in both eyes. But I guess the odds are just a little higher for me than the average person, having the diabetic retinopathy and my history of eye surgeries.
 I can't imagine not being able to see the latest fall fashions or those bad 80's outfits some women (and men!) are still stuck in. And what about me?! Who would dress me in the morning? My husband has great fashion sense when it comes to what looks good on women, but he goes to work everyday. I have visions (ha!) of putting on a soft-pink frilly skirt and mistaking my black silk tank for a neon orange one. Not cool. And if I think picking my outfit would be hard...what about my face!? You can't "feel" color. I would be living in my own makeup "blind spot". Now I will be wearing the pink skirt, neon orange tank, probably green flats instead of my black ones AND purple and blue makeup! Oh dear. This could be disastrous.
But I had one of my "moments in time" I always speak of at the U2 concert. As I mentioned in an earlier post, there were times when I had to shut my eyes due to vertigo (ha! get it?). But for serious...it was a dizzying experience. And I mentioned how the music just moved right through me. As I was in the midst of this euphoria, I realized that being blind wouldn't be all bad. Blindness cannot silence the music. The music in my mind, heart and soul can only be conquered by death. (And then...who really cares right? ;)
So, I may look a little awkward if this eye disease of mine takes over. (If you see that pathetic outfit I described wandering aimlessly in the streets, you'll know what happened and that it's me. Hey! Maybe that's how I will get to meet some of you! ;) But I will always have music. Even if my ears fall off and my mind goes a little crazy in my old age...I will still feel the music.
And what more could I ask for? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What the heck...say whatever is on your mind! (Regarding my thoughts that is ;)