Thursday, May 5, 2011

"If I Traded It All"

Well, today my heart is heavy. I just came back from the drugstore and was listening to our local pop/rock radio station in my car. They are having a radio-thon for the Children's Hospital in my nearest city.
As they played Finger Eleven's "One Thing" otherwise recognized as "If I Traded It All" in the background, tears started to fall from my eyes as I listened to story after story of sick and dying children. One father explained how his son had a degenerative disorder in which his body and mind reversed and erased everything he had learned including even his reflex to swallow. They know he will die soon, and probably from either an infection or Pneumonia.
His mother cut in from the background saying that they want him to die at home, with his family.
He is six.
After this story, child after child and parent after parent were quoted saying what ugly disease they were dealing with, past or present. Everything from Leukemia to needed heart transplants were listed while thrown out into the airwaves. I wanted to catch and destroy them as they came at me through the radio.
The good news is...many children have been saved by the staff and equipment at that hospital. Myself being one of them. I spent two weeks there at the age of nine after almost dying due to the diagnosis of my diabetes.
But today this is not about me. It is about the hundreds of thousands of children who are sick and dying and need saving. And it is about the parents who must watch their children struggle for their lives.
"If I traded it all, if I gave it all away for one thing. Just for one thing..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

What the heck...say whatever is on your mind! (Regarding my thoughts that is ;)