Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Paris and Pokes

Sometimes I wish I lived in New York or Paris. Don't get me wrong...I love it where I live (except during the snow storms in May) but women in those cities can get away with much more. I'm not talking about being "bad girls". I am talking about style options. They can actually wear a lot of what you see in Vogue or on the runways in the fashion capital of the world. (Which is Paris by the way.) No, that pretty pink skirt swirling with tulle paired with a flowy white blouse and silver stilettos might look a little out of place in small-town Canada. But in New York, well...Fabulous!
Then there is event-appropriateness as well. Of course a bikini on the beach works well, but not so much at a formal benefit to raise money for diabetes. No, there you might just get away with a little tulle, but not jeans and a t-shirt.
So there is a time and place for making a bold fashion statement. Just like, I have learned, there is a time and place for doing your blood sugar.
I will admit, after roughly 40,000 finger pokes I have lost the perspective that some people can't handle the site of blood. Taking my blood sugar is as natural as brushing my hair to me. In fact, I know I prick my finger more that I run a pick through my blonde locks. You heard me...I prick more than I pick. (I know, groan.) But of course, that is not the case for most people. I was reminded of some people's blood reaction while out for dinner at a restaurant a while back. As slick as ice, I pulled out my meter, put it on the table, and proceeded to draw blood. It wasn't until I looked across and saw my friend's face turn a shade of green that was meant only for aliens, that I realized my faux-pas. Sorry 'bout that.
So the moral of the story is that not only is there age-appropriateness which we discussed earlier, but also location-appropriateness. My longings for New York and Paris will have to wait. But for now, every time I cause myself to bleed, I will allow myself to picture that pink-tulle skirt and silver stilettos and smile.
Cuz even if only in my dreams, I'm allowed to look fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What the heck...say whatever is on your mind! (Regarding my thoughts that is ;)